Saturday, July 18, 2015

Saturday Snippets: Summer Session, Week 1

It feels like a whirlwind of a week.  I do wonder if I start many a Saturday feeling that way about the past week.  Let me take a look back, snapshot style, so that I'll remember in later years:

--The first week of the quarter has gone well for my department.  How do I define well?  No one was kept away or called away by an air traffic controllers' strike or natural disaster or a health crisis.   We didn't have two or more classes booked into one room.  The technology kept working, even if it was slow.  No one got a better job offer and quit week 1.

--Let me hasten to add that I don't begrudge my department members a better job.  I just prefer to avoid the chaos of better jobs arriving when classes are underway.

--It was a week of departures in other parts of the school, all voluntary.  While I am sad to see people go, I am happy to be reminded that we all have options.

--It was a week of several birthdays.  At work, the birthdays made the atmosphere more festive.  We have a colleague who always makes sure we have a cake on birthdays.

--My birthday was Tuesday.  You may know that for my birthday I got both a nuclear arms control treaty with Iran and amazing pictures of Pluto--just the things to get for a girl who already has everything a girl could want.

--I had multiple reminders that although I may feel invisible and inconsequential, I have purpose.  I helped many students and the various colleagues that go with them.  I have family and friends, and although I may not see them as often as I wish I could, we are still connected.

--I ended the week with my parents arriving for a long week-end with us.  I am lucky in that I truly like being with all of my relatives, both on my side and my spouse's side.  I know many people who see a visit with family as a chore to be endured.  I do not.

--I used their impending arrival as a chance to catch up on sorting the paperwork that's been piling up.  I got the guest room organized.  I did some long delayed cleaning (like windowsills and baseboards).  I love being in a clean, uncluttered house, but I don't always take the effort.

--As I cleaned, I also thought about the fact that we moved here 2 years ago, and some of the stuff that we moved over from the old house, I haven't used in the past 2 years.  Perhaps it is time to sort and declutter again.

--We have a smoker that we got from a neighborhood friend who upgraded to a better smoker.  We finally started using it this week.  What an amazing difference that smoking a chicken makes to the taste of chicken--and any dish that uses smoked chicken.  We had a fabulous chicken chili on a rain-threatening Thursday night and the Mexican casserole dish that we make with refried beans and grilled veggies was even better with smoked chicken.

--What will the week-end bring?  Will we smoke a salmon?  Will we shop the end of summer sales?  Will we breakfast at the beach?  Will we decide to relax in the backyard, since we have new furniture?  Stay tuned!

No comments: